Design Systems Advocate, Jina Anne
I’m a design systems advocate living in the East Bay of the San Francisco Bay Area. I’m a designer who codes and “no-codes.”
I enjoy design systems, tools, and processes. More importantly, I like looking at ways to improve collaboration and improving communication; I love community and people. It’s why I love design systems in the first place. Because design systems are for people.
Design systems are for people
- Be open, inclusive, and community-driven. Open source. Share what you learn.
- “There is no design system”. 😜 Or, rather than only focusing on the artifact (a style guide website, UI Kit, pattern library, etc) — see Design Systems is a continuous way of thinking & working.
- Technology stacks and tools come and go. Be agnostically-minded and future-proof.
Design Systems are a shared ownership
- Anyone should be empowered to contribute to design systems.
- Close gaps (rather than simply bridging them).
- Design Systems are more successful with cross-functional skills represented.
- Avoid silos.
Hybrids have a place in design systems
- There is no need to “bucket” someone to focus only on design or only on engineering. Let people shine by using their diverse range of skills.
- The “design” in design systems is to solve problems for the overall experience. Everyone impacts that.
- Designers who code and coders who design are able to show their work in exciting ways. Let’s embrace that.
Show. Don’t tell.
- To get buy-in, don’t just talk about potential. Show examples and concepts. Prove it with visible outcomes and incremental progress.
- Rather than aiming for massive impact that takes awhile, focus on the incremental wins. The smaller success stories cultivate adoption faster.
- Share the vision with everyone.
Invite me to speak
I love speaking at conferences! If you would like to invite me to speak at your event, please review the following details.
- I only speak at conferences that have an actionable and enforced Code of Conduct.
- I require travel expenses to be covered by the event. I prefer doing this as a reimbursement so that I can book my own travel.
- I require an honorarium (speaking fee). If you are a non-profit, we can discuss terms to make the engagement possible.
- When contacting me, please let me know what actions you are taking to ensure a diverse and inclusive event.